The latest issue of Australian Foreign Affairs examines Australia’s struggle to retain influence among its Pacific island neighbours as foreign powers play a greater role and as small nations brace for the impacts of climate change.
Australia’s Sphere of Influence explores the security challenges facing nations in the southern Pacific and whether Australia will need new approaches to secure its relations and interests.
- Hugh White: “In denial: Can Australia win the Pacific’s great game?”
- Katerina Teaiwa: “First victims: Climate change as an existential threat”
- Jenny Hayward-Jones: “Island diplomacy: How Canberra can secure its Pacific interests”
- Sean Dorney: “Papua New Guinea divides: Inside the forgotten colony”
- Book reviews from leading experts, including award-winning journalist Elizabeth Becker.
- New feature The Fix, offering solutions to foreign policy problems.
- Richard Cooke’s The Back Page, explaining and demystifying key foreign policy jargon.
- Correspondence on AFA5: Are We Asian Yet?