Black Inc. Submission Guidelines
Before you submit your manuscript to Black Inc., please have a look around our website to get a sense of the range of books we publish.
What we accept
We accept proposals from Australian writers only, for general, literary and commercial non-fiction – including history, current affairs, memoir and biography. We also accept proposals from corporate organisations for custom publishing projects.
We are not currently accepting unsolicited fiction submissions, poetry, plays/scripts, YA, middle grade or picture books.
What to include
- A subject line stating the title of your book and its genre (e.g. The Sunday Sessions: Memoir)
- Your name, phone number and address
- Word count of the work
- Brief summary/synopsis (no more than 300 words)
- Brief author bio, including any previous publications and awards
- Details of where your book would sit in the marketplace (comparison titles, similar authors, intended audience)
- Between 50 and 100 pages of your manuscript, double-spaced, as a Word doc or PDF – please note we are unable to accept your submission without a writing sample
How/when to submit
We only accept submissions in the first week of every month. Please email your submission to us at [email protected] during this period (we do not accept them by post).
You will receive confirmation of receipt, and we will contact you within eight weeks if we wish to discuss your work further. Owing to the number of proposals we receive, we cannot discuss individual submissions over the telephone or in person, and we cannot give detailed editorial feedback.
La Trobe University Press Submission Guidelines
La Trobe University Press (LTUP) publishes books of high intellectual quality aimed at a general readership, ranging across the humanities and sciences.
Please note that we do not publish Festschriften, conference volumes or unrevised dissertations.
If you would like us to consider your work for publication, send an email to [email protected] (we do not accept submissions by post).
Attach your complete manuscript to the email. The only formats we accept are Word document and PDF. If your manuscript is not yet complete, please send a chapter outline and sample chapter.
In your email, also include:
- A synopsis (under 1000 words) of your work. This should describe the proposed book’s themes, arguments, goals and place in the literature
- An indication of the word count of your manuscript and the anticipated completion date
- A note to say whether any chapters, or substantive sections of chapters, have already been published
- A list of your publications and summary of your relevant professional experience and qualifications
Owing to the number of proposals we receive, we cannot discuss individual submissions over the telephone or in person, and we cannot give detailed editorial responses.
Proposals for publication are considered by an editorial board, whose members are Emeritus Professor Robert Manne, Vice-Chancellor’s Fellow Dr Elizabeth Finkel, and Morry Schwartz and Chris Feik of Black Inc.
Please allow eight weeks for us to consider your proposal and get back to you.
Quarterly Essay Submission Guidelines
For editorial queries regarding QE, please contact the Editor:
Chris Feik: [email protected]
Please note, Quarterly Essay accepts correspondence on the current issue, of any length between 500 and 2000 words, with a preference for brevity. A selection of this correspondence is published in the subsequent issue. All published respondents receive a two-year subscription.
We do not accept unsolicited proposals for Quarterly Essays.