Black Inc. Submission Guidelines
Before you submit your manuscript to Black Inc., please have a look around our website to get a sense of the range of books we publish.
Black Inc. is accepting proposals from Australian writers only, for general non-fiction – including history, current affairs, biography and memoir – and for literary and commercial fiction.
We also accept proposals from corporate organisations for custom publishing projects.
Please note that we do not accept unsolicited proposals for poetry or children’s books or Quarterly Essays.
If you would like us to consider your work for publication, please send an email to [email protected]. (We do not accept submissions by post.) In your email, please include:
- A subject line stating the title of your book, whether it’s fiction or non-fiction, and its genre (e.g. The Boy Who Cried Wolf: Fiction/Literary or The Sunday Sessions: Non-Fiction/Memoir)
- A short (under 1000 words) synopsis of your work
- An indication of the total word count of your manuscript
- A list of your previous publications, and any other relevant information about you
Attach your complete manuscript to your email. The only formats we accept are Word document and PDF.
For non-fiction only: if your manuscript is not yet complete, please send a proposed chapter outline and a sample chapter.
We will contact you within eight weeks if we wish to discuss your work further. Owing to the number of proposals we receive, we cannot discuss individual submissions over the telephone or in person, and we cannot give detailed editorial feedback. Please note that unsuccessful submissions will not receive a reply.
La Trobe University Press Submission Guidelines
La Trobe University Press (LUP) publishes books of high intellectual quality aimed at a general readership, ranging across the humanities and sciences.
Please note that we do not publish Festschriften, conference volumes or unrevised dissertations.
If you would like us to consider your work for publication, send an email to [email protected] (we do not accept submissions by post).
Attach your complete manuscript to the email. The only formats we accept are Word document and PDF.
If your manuscript is not yet complete, please send a chapter outline and sample chapter.
In your email, also include:
- A synopsis (under 1000 words) of your work. This should describe the proposed book’s themes, arguments, goals and place in the literature;
- An indication of the word count of your manuscript and the anticipated completion date;
- A note to say whether any chapters, or substantive sections of chapters, have already been published;
- A list of your publications and summary of your relevant professional experience and qualifications.
Owing to the number of proposals we receive, we cannot discuss individual submissions over the telephone or in person, and we cannot give detailed editorial responses.
Please allow two months for us to consider your proposal and get back to you.
Quarterly Essay Submission Guidelines
For editorial queries regarding QE, please contact the Editor:
Chris Feik: [email protected]
Please note, Quarterly Essay accepts correspondence on the current issue, of any length between 500 and 2000 words, with a preference for brevity. A selection of this correspondence is published in the subsequent issue. All published respondents receive a two-year subscription. We do not accept unsolicited proposals for Quarterly Essays.